Blame it on my bohemian homeschooled topsy-turvey "don't-fence-me-in" farm-life up-bringing but when it comes to time management, it can hardly be overstated that I've never been one for routine.
If you know me well, I'm sure you are laughing right now. :) Consistency doesn't come easily to me. Don't get me wrong, I like to plan ahead, I need to plan ahead because if I don't make an effort than I'll really be up a creek without a paddle.
God certainly has a way of knowing what we need to work on and providing us with the perfect circumstances that ensure we won't be wiggling out of the opportunity to work on that very thing. For me, it is working on discipline.
Enter baby. Perfect opportunity. Now that my free time broken up into small stretches, I must set small manageable goals.
Here is a revolutionary idea: Meal Planning
I know, I know--how many blog posts have been written about this? But seriously, having some parameters on this has made a big difference in my life! My outline for the week gives me the limitations I need to be wildly creative with my food choices. For example:
Sunday: Soup & Bread
Monday: Fish
Tuesday: Asian (or other ethnic food, like say Greek or Indian)
Wednesday: Meatless (quiche, pancakes, baked potatoes)
Thursday: Meat & Potatoes (This is any cut of meat with any type of side dish)
Friday: Special Dinner (like homemade Pizza & salad, or something time consuming and creative)
Saturday: Leftovers
Keeping a pretty good supply of the basics (chicken broth, rice, greek yogurt, breakfast things) on hand, I can usually look at the sale flyer (another parameter, especially since I don't go to the three grocery stores I used to now that I have a baby) and come up with a menu in less than ten minutes.
If you need further incentive + visual reminders (I did) this certainly didn't hurt:
With some structure, it is amazing to me that I end up with more variety in what I make than the good old winging it strategy. Thanks God, for making me embrace a little discipline in my life! Amazing!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment