Wednesday, February 16, 2011

{in season} grapefruit

I am going to start highlighting a seasonal fruit or vegetable every so often as a fun little segment on this blog.  I'm not going all locavore here, but do I think food definitely tastes better when it is in season.  I'm highly suspicious that it is better for you, too, but that's another topic for another blogger.

I'll stick to taste.

Last year I ate about 1,000,000 grapefruit in January and February.  Prepping grapefruit can be a deal breaker for many people.  I confess that after a week of eating grapefruit for breakfasts, snacks and desserts (I was pregnant, okay?) I was totally burnt out on digging each half of a segment out with a spoon.  But the promise of luscious grapefruit was so tantalizing that I had to find a better way to consume more grapefruit faster and with less effort.   So I switched to the segmenting method.  Much better.  I'm sure you've seen people do this before but here is a little refresher.  I watched my grandmother do this when I was a little girl and I remember being so intrigued.


First, peel by cutting off both ends and running your knife under the pith down all sides.  Then take out the first segment like so:



At this point, my camera battery died, but I'm sure you've got it by now.  Just continue inserting your knife on the left side of a segment and popping out each delicious piece.  It's all in the wrist.  :)

My grandmother, who has always been an amazing cook, has a recipe in our family cookbook for Grapefruit Cream.  I think it is just about the most divine thing one could eat.  Believe me, if there is a way to make something as healthy as grapefruit into a luscious dessert, I'll find it!  Here is the recipe:

Grapefruit Cream:

16 oz heavy cream, whipped
3 large grapefruit
2 Tbsp. gelatin, dissolved in 3/4 cup boiling water
1 cup of sugar (*I use about 1/2 cup of raw honey here, healthy and I love the flavor)
ice water

Whip cream until stiff peaks form; refrigerate.

Cut grapefruit in half horizontally and with the aid of sharp scissors remove fruit from rinds, saving shells and reserving fruit and juice.  Set rinds aside to chill in ice water.  Press fruit through a sieve.

Dissolve gelatin in boiling water.  Add sugar, fruit juice and pulp.  Chill.

When nearly cool, place mixture in pan of ice water and whip until well thickened.  Fold in whipped cream and spoon (or pipe) into shells.

Pretty!  I can see serving this in some darling vintage teacups with fresh mint.

**Note: Since writing this I read that grapefruit is loaded with lycopine, which is a fat-soluble antioxidant so you really maximize the benefits by serving it with a good fat (I have no problems with a eating good cream).  Using raw honey instead of sugar actually makes this a pretty powerful dessert in moderation.  I also edited the recipe to follow my grandmother's more closely since I finally have it in my hands again.  Eat up!

No comments:

Post a Comment