A quick update on my job search. Things have been going well. At least by "well" I mean that I think I have been doing everything (nearly) right. When we moved here I applied for some jobs right away, but needed practice writing cover letters and refining my resume. Also, it took a while to get familiar with the best places to find jobs--jobs that don't involve some combination of the words "assistant teams system analyst synergy representative," and other vague titles that sound like they work under florescent lights. It makes you regret not going to school for something practical--like nursing, or teaching, or tv/vcr repair. "Humanities" is not usually a good place to start your job search. :)
I did sign up with a temp agency but Craigslist has been the most rewarding so far, yielding a part-time gig as a photographer's assistant for a charity function. Since then I've had a couple of interviews, which was a big morale boost. I also applied to volunteer at the children's hospital, but even they haven't gotten back to me yet!
This week I have an interview with a church. I'm excited about this one because the job is only four days a week but still has full benefits and is close to home. Plus working for a church is a great fit for me. And of course having an extra day off would leave me time to paint. :) I hope they will be merciful and overlook the fact that I may not be able to stay for more than a year and a half.
I started reading "48 Days to the Work You Love" by Dan Miller. I give it three stars, maybe two and a half, but it has been helpful at least in focusing my search and helping me reconsider some of my talents and interests in the search for my "vocation" (even after four years of "Pepperdine Voyage" I'm still not sure exactly what that means). It is, however, easy to put those aside when you are working just to pay the bills. I am fortunate, though, that although I haven't worked my field of study so far, I have had amazing co-workers, fabulous bosses, and positive (for the most part) work environments. God is so faithful, even when I worry, and this time will be no exception.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment